Friday, April 12, 2013

First Touch of Spring - Royal Star Magnolia

Good morning all!

I am going to be starting a series of posts documenting--as the name suggests--the coming of the Spring season. As others of you on the East Coast know, the weather these past few months has been insane--hurricanes, snowstorms in March, high winds, temperamental temperatures--it's just seemed like a very long never-ending Winter. Now I like Winter a lot--the snow, the holidays, curling up with a nice hot cup of tea--but enough has been enough. I want my Spring already. I was inspired to do this series (and this whole blog actually) when, on the way back from class, I noticed some buds beginning to show and immediately thought The first touch of Spring. Granted, the slowly warming weather was probably more of an indication that Spring was indeed coming, but for me, everything goes back to plants. Call me a tree-hugger (some of my friends actually do) ^-^

For the first of this series, I would like to share with you all a plant I noticed two days ago was growing behind one of the dorms. It was a surprise to me how much it had flowered and the whiteness of the petals certainly stood out in stark contrast against the colorlessness of the other still-hibernating trees.

Flowers plus a few flower buds

Close-up of flowers

Common Name: Royal Star Magnolia
Scientific Name: Magnolia stellata 'Royal Star'

If you ever get a chance to see these flowers you should. It'll be fun watching these flowers blossom and bloom~ They also smell really nice--a sweet fragrance, a little reminiscent of Jasmine I guess. Sorry, I'm not good at describing fragrances. ^^~

Enjoy! I'm going to (hopefully) explore the campus today for some more touches of Spring and get back to you all. Until next time~~

No comments:

Post a Comment