Thursday, January 30, 2014

And Then There Were Nine

Good afternoon!

As promised, an update on the growth of my recently planted terrarium. It has been a week and a day since my last post, and since the seeds have been planted and sure enough, there has been some botanical activity.
Day 7
There were actually about four little sprouts yesterday morning, one of which can be seen if you squint closely near the center of the above photo. As you can imagine, I was quite pleased and quite ecstatic upon seeing the little green shoots. It has been a (somewhat) secret fear of mine that I would kill anything I tried to grow, so it's good to see that that is not the case. 
I was also a little concerned by the fact that the condensation was concentrated towards the back of the bottle: I wasn't sure if that meant that all the seeds were in the back (evaporation, water cycle, and whatnot--perhaps I should do a post on that?) or if it just meant that the open bottle was causing all the water near the front to evaporate. 
Day 8
However, I discovered (quite happily) today that there was indeed a little shoot growing near the opening of the bottle. (Now, just a case of figuring out if I should be trying to preserve water near that end by keeping it open or not)

Furthermore, I also discovered five additional shoots for a total of nine happy little shoots! I tried my best to take pictures of them, but they're really quite hard to discern among the soil, so I wouldn't blame you if you don't want to examine the pictures, but they're there, I promise!

Hopefully, they will get easier to see and if not, I guess we shall have to wait until they have matured. 

Meanwhile, I leave you all with a picture of...Terrarium Against a Rising Sun. Because who doesn't enjoy the effects of a good sunrise glowing against glass?

Until next time~~

No comments:

Post a Comment