Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Taipei: An Intersection of Urban Life and Wildlife

So awhile back, I went to Taiwan with my Chinese class for about 10 days. We stayed at 臺北市 (Taipei)、花蓮市 (Hualien) 、and 礁溪鄉 (Jiaoxi)。The experience was amazing and unforgettable--although we did not have the chance to visit a botanical garden, there was no shortage of plant life to be found in Taiwan. I have been meaning to blog about it for awhile now, but have not had the opportunity (nor motivation for that matter) until now.

So here is my long-overdue post on nature and plant life in Taiwan, starting with the capital city of Taipei.

This is actually a slide from my final presentation for my Chinese class (so any mistakes in the Chinese is my own fault), which was sort of an ethnobotanical study on the relationship between plants and people in Taiwan. One thing I noted was, despite how technologically advanced and modern Taiwan was, the environment and landscape seemed to be very nature-conscious and, as one of my classmates noted, Taiwan seemed to be very good in terms of space usage and landscape planning.

These next few pictures were taken from atop the 101st floor of 臺北101 (Taipei 101), which is one of the tallest skyscrapers in the world. From the giant windows lining the floors, you can see practically all of Taipei--it was pretty amazing and breathtaking.

The city of Taipei from atop Taipei 101--from this view, it looks just like any other busy city...

But as you can see, the city seems to be built in accommodation with the environment rather than regardless of it.

I was pretty impressed with some of the ways infrastructure was worked into the environment without destroying the landscape.



It was amazing to see how they utilized the environment to be able to coexist alongside nature--by no means am I saying that Taipei is the epitome of nature preservation or plant conservation but as a New Yorker, I think that there are some things to be learned from how the city was planned.

That is all for now, but definitely expect more Taiwan posts--soon, I hope!

Until next time~

No comments:

Post a Comment