Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Frozen Lakes & Narnia

Those of you in the Northeast know that we've been wracked with quite a bit of snow lately and so my friend and I decided--what better time to go to the Arboretum than after the snow has fallen? Actually we have been meaning to go back for a while but were either put off by the cold weather, laziness, or just not being in the trekking mood.
That, off into the distance, is a frozen lake--it was absolutely breathtaking and we were really tempted to try walking on it--which is most definitely not a good idea. The ice was really thin and definitely would not have held our weights.
Look at that frozen splendor!

A portion of the lake which did not freeze over

A peek of water

Don't try ice-skating on this folks!

Moving on...
I shimmied my way under a tree for this and the next picture!

I think my finger might be in this shot...Sorry
This structure, covered in snow made me think about what refrigeration used to be like. I believe that perishables, such as meat, would have been treated with salt and dried fruits and vegetables hung up. Perhaps I shall look into that.




The Elven Path


The view actually reminded me of the scene in Peter Jackson's The Fellowship of the Ring when the Hobbits have just left the Shire and Frodo, sensing the Nazgul warns the others to get off the road (clip does not belong to me).
Poor little plant smothered by snow!

The burden of snow
A running stream!
And we just couldn't resist making the Narnia lamp-post reference!

My friend got better shots of that but oh well. Hehe. Hope everyone enjoyed the snowy pictures and is staying warm and healthy in this cold cold weather!

Until next time~

No comments:

Post a Comment